The following Area 58 Voting Procedure is used when a motion is made before the Area Assembly:
A motion is made
- If it does not receive a second, it dies.
- After a second, debate is opened.
- If a registered voter calls the question, a second will be required, or debate resumes. A Question must be called in turn at the mike.
- If the question is seconded a 2/3 majority will end the debate, or debate resumes.
- If the question is not called, debate will go on until there is no one at the mike.
- Once debate ends, a sense of the group will be taken by simple majority, to vote or table.
A motion is voted on
- If it involves expenditure of area funds, the finance committee will be asked to report.
- It requires a 2/3 majority to pass.
- The losing side will be asked if they wish to speak to their position.
- The winning side will be asked if there is a motion to re-vote, and requires a second. A simple majority is required to re-vote.
A motion is re-considered
- Full debate, pro and con is resumed (please limit discussion to only new considerations).
- The question may again be called, seconded, and requires a 2/3 majority to end debate.
- A sense of the group may be taken by simple majority, to vote or table.
- If voted on, the motion must have a 2/3 majority to pass.
Debate has ended
- Debate on a tabled motion will be resumed under old business at the next assembly, and the voting process will be the same as above.
See the Area 58 Guidelines for more information: