The Area 58 Archives collects and preserves correspondence, records, photographs and media articles for the guidance and research of A.A. members and others.
- Archivist (Chair): James J. – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Archives Assistant: Hal E. – email email@example.com
The term of the Archivist and Archives Assistant is 8 years each, with the terms beginning in 2004. The purpose is more than mere custodial activities; it is the means by which we collect, preserve and share the rich and meaningful heritage of our fellowship.
The Archivist and the Archives Committee are responsible for:
- Receiving, classifying and indexing all relevant materials, including, but not limited to, administrative files, records, correspondence, literary works and artifacts considered to have importance to AA.
- Holding and preserving such material, making access possible, as determined by the present archivist in consultation with the Archives committee, to members of Alcoholics Anonymous, and those of the public who may have a valid need to review said material. Such access be provided only during business hours and with a mindful view toward the anonymity of our members.
- This is done through workshops, presentations, mailings/email, etc. Some travel may be involved between assemblies. The Archivist meets with the Archives Committee for work at the archives repository.
Archives Tours and Training
Your Area 58 Archives is located in St. Helens, Oregon. If you would like to bring a group for a tour, please contact the Archivist to arrange a date and time. We are also happy to provide training in archival techniques for District Archivists.
What’s in the Archives?
- Area 58 records, including Assembly minutes
- Area 58 history, including the scrapbook of Doc H., founder of AA in Oregon
- District records
- Group histories
- Audio recordings of Oregon Area members
- Photos from Oregon Area history
- Big Books and Grapevines through the years
- Archives conservation work area, equipment and supplies
- Scanning equipment for digitizing records
- …and much more – come and see!